In July 2013, a fleet of magnificent Tall Ships will sail into Cleveland’s harbor to participate in a 4-day, fun-filled family-friendly festival. The Rotary Club of Cleveland will host 10 - 12 replica historic vessels in honor of its long-time commitment to the people of the City of Cleveland. The Festival will showcase the diverse Great Lakes maritime history, spotlighting environmental themes while promoting youth leadership through sail training – Project YESS (Youth Empowered to Succeed Through Sailing). Visitors can board vessels, meet crew, and experience the heritage these historic ships symbolize. Cleveland welcomes the Tall Ships Challenge®, a series of port-to-port international sailing races and maritime festivals starting in Toronto and ending in Erie under the direction of Tall Ships America®.
Interested in Volunteering?
The email address is .
Or call 216-236-8467 and leave a message.
Volunteer Commitment - We sincerely appreciate your time and interest in helping us bring one of the largest, most unique events to Cleveland. As a volunteer you must...
- Be 18 years old
- Be available for a minimum of 2 shifts from July 3-8, 2013
- Attend 1 mandatory training session
- Sign a waiver form
- Complete each shift, regardless of the weather. This is an outdoors, all-weather event.
- Be able to walk and/or stand during your entire shift; breaks Will be provided
- Be able to do some light labor (moving/lifting of chairs)
Volunteer Assignments - The Volunteer Coordinator will determined all volunteer shifts and assignments. Types of assignments may include:
General Event Volunteer Positions:
- Greeters - Welcome, answer questions - help manage people's time and expectations upon arrival
- Ticket Takers - Front Gate
- Information People - "Ask Me" - you will be given an information book that answers most of the anticipated questions the public tends to ask
- Crowd Control - at the gates, ship lines and on-board
- Hospitality - Work the hospitality functions on-deck and on-dock, help with everything from bus groups to weddings and VIP receptions
Specialized Volunteer Positions:
- Docents - You will be trained to answer questions about a specific ship so you can replace the crew for breaks and crew activities. This is a fun job and most appreciated by the crew. You must be available or several shifts throughout the weekend (they do not have to be consecutive). The Docent position is a unique job - if you have an interest in history, ships, sailing, or are just willing to work extra shifts, and have time to be trained - please indicate this on your form. Please note: This is an on-deck position, and requires standing.
- Ship Liaison - Ship Liaisons work directly with the ships throughout their stay in Cleveland. A good working knowledge of Cleveland and how to get around is helpful. You must be available all five days. A typical day includes meeting with the Captain or the First Mate, advising him of the day's activities; helping a crew member find a dentist or Internet access, driving the cook to the supermarket for provisioning, and so on.
- Cleveland Tall Ships Festival 2013 T-Shirt
- Complimentary Tickets to Port of Cleveland 2013 Tall Ships Festival
- Food and Beverage voucher while Volunteering
VOLUNTEER APPLICATIONS CLICK HERE